Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Gift Aid on raffles? What and why? Your thoughts:

 

I (and I’m not alone) keep seeing raffles at dinners, events and such with a Gift Aid form attached. 

 

Now I was pretty sure that you can’t claim Gift Aid on money given for a raffle ticket, but I’d begun to question myself, and decided to ask about.

 

And I got some interesting answers..  (sorry but I’ve lost track of who said what)

 

SO WHY ARE CHARITIES DOING THIS?

 

1.    Numpties:  They don’t know it’s not allowed, and so are merrily trying to maximise Gift Aid without really understanding it.

 

2.    Naughty naughty:  Let’s be honest, will HMRC have the time and ability to track each and every Gift Aid claim?  They’re gambling on this, and are claiming absolutely everything.

 

3.    Need the data:  It’s simply data capture.  Sure, they won’t claim the gift aid on this, but will use this info to keep systems up to date and maximise eligible claiming.

 

 

Can you think of anything other possibilities?

 

Posted via email from mikemuses's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home