Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tactical Nuclear Penguin - original post Nov 27 2009

Well, you've got to love the name. It could only be a band, a spark in the imagination of one Mr Izzard, or a beer from Brewdog.

Always courting controversy, always generating publicity, always thinking differently, and usually creating tasty beers. I've long been a bit of a fan, but caution here guys.

Despite the pricetags and their effect on my lowly salary, I've splashed out on occasion and bought and enjoyed several of their pricier brews.

I liked the original Tokyo (no star - 12%) , Paradox is a favourite of mine, and I regularly enjoy Rip Tide, their Punk IPA, and even Trashy Blonde. The first time they launched a £40 Paradox limited edition, I bought a couple, two as an unusual gift for the couple who introduced me to Brewdog, and one for me.

I did try Tokyo* - the 18.2%, but I wasn't enamoured with it. A bit heavy for my tastes - the subtlety of flavour you can get from some of their other brews was lacking. In fact, I still have one at home - haven't found a reason to drink that instead of anything else yet. Beer should be about flavour, not strength.

I don't doubt they'll sell this limited run - the die-hard fans will probably see to that, but for me, since I didn't like the last super-strength one, I think I might give this one a miss.

More importantly, I also wonder how long it will be before they start to alienate their fans.

I've been keeping an eye on them for a couple of years, in fact, visited their brewery, and most of all, I actually like Martin and James.

My concern for the company is that while their products are staying true to their original brand - pushing boundaries and creating unusual drinks, the publicity they're now getting falls into two categories.

The first is all focussed around the strength of their drinks - and that will create a different image in the eyes of many. Instead of being a beer for people who want flavour, will they become seen as a beer for people who want the strongest? Not punks, but drunks.

The second is about their own buzz. For some time they've been creating a lot of publicity and hype about themselves - they're well known because of their ability to generate headlines, but the tide seems to be turning, with some commentating that they only do things to get in the papers.

All publicity may or may not be good publicity, but the best products speak for themselves, and get others speaking about them.

Remember folks, your brand is never what you think it is, it's what everyone else thinks it is.

Posted via email from mikemuses's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home