Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

It's not an excuse, it's a reason. Part II


Continuing with our recommended Japanese excuse season. You see, I believe that everyone has potential, and I want to help you on your way to fulfilling your potential.


“Humans make mistakes, but how they sidestep trouble is a true sign of one’s potential,” said Yuichi Higuchi, the author of best-selling book “Atama ga iihito, Warui hito no Hanashikata” (How smart and naïve people respond).

“If you can convince the person you are talking to with a plausible excuse, you can turn the situation around into a great opportunity,” Higuchi said. “But many guys do not think about it deeply enough and say things that get them even further into hot water. If you're going to skate on thin ice, you need to master conversational skills to get you out of a potential hole.”

It essentially means that you have to always be ready for mishaps and have a good excuse for every occasion. After talking with “experts,” Shukan Post provides some good excuses for work and relationship matters.


If you fall asleep during a meeting.

Wrong answer: I wasn’t sleeping!

Correct answer: I am sorry. I was preparing for this until really late last night and got drowsy.

First and foremost, it is important to accept the fact that you fell asleep, but you need an explanation. With this excuse, you can make it look like you are hardworking.

{And not that you are very slow at preparing, or left your preparing until the last minute}


If you arrive late for an appointment

Wrong answer: The train had an accident.

Correct answer: In order not to be late for this important meeting, I thought it best to take a taxi, but unfortunately got stuck in a traffic jam.

The two answers seem very similar, but the point is to make a better impression. “Traffic jams or accidents are handy excuses, but with the correct answer, it shows how committed you are to the client. You are willing to pay for the cab even if it is out of your own pocket in order to meet with the client,” said Morooka. {It's important to point out to any people unfamiliar with Japan that Japanese trains are not late. At all. Ever. The average "lateness" per train on the Tokaido Shinkansen in 1999 was 24 seconds.
If you miss an appointment

Wrong answer: Wasn’t it tomorrow?

Correct answer: I am sorry. I would at least like to apologize in person, so I am heading to your office right now.

Even if the client made a mistake on the agreed appointment date, forget about it. “Do not argue with an important client. Apologize until the opposite side agrees to a meeting. The sincere and passionate gesture may result for the better.”


If you fail to meet a deadline on finishing paperwork

Wrong answer: There wasn’t enough time

Correct answer: I took it home to complete it, but I forgot to bring it back.

Paperwork is part of the job, so “not enough time” simply shows your incompetence. But if you took it home, then it appears that you are a hardworking and responsible man trying to meet the deadline. {yes, a hardworking and responsible man who forgot his homework}


If you are assigned extra tasks even though you are already too busy

Wrong answer: I am really busy these days.

Correct answer: Let me handle it after I am done with what I am working on at the moment. I want to fully devote myself to such an important task.

If you decline the task by saying you're too busy, then your supervisor will think of you as an disorganized person. You should make yourself out to be a person who likes to fully devote himself to a project.

If you are asked to do overtime work

Wrong answer: I have a date tonight.

Correct answer: My mother just recovered from an illness and is in town with my father. We thought we would all celebrate her recovery.

A date only implies personal pleasure and your boss will not enjoy hearing about it. But even your boss cannot argue with someone who loves his or her parents.


If your least favorite superior invites you for a drink

Wrong answer: Today is not a good day.

Correct answer: Thank you for inviting me. I am really grateful for your kindness, but I have a business class to go today.

It doesn’t matter if you are really attending such a class. But it shows that you are studying to polish yourself.


Yes I did use the exact translation used, which might explain some of the slightly unusual language. And aren't you impressed that I managed not to comment on 'polishing yourself'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home