Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Remakes and Updates








Remakes. Never as good as the original, are they? Can you think of any classic lines from the 2003 film "The Italian Job"? Nope. The original is named as being responsible for one of the top ten of all time..

Of course when it comes to remakes there's always the exception to prove the rule. Some people might say this, or even this, but I've found the real exception.

Remember the Power Rangers? I think they were called Super Sentai in Japan, but it was probably the best badly made TV programme of the nineties. Actually the franchise is still going in various forms, but way back back when I were a lad, in fact when I was far too old to be watching it, it started.

A group of American teenagers who each had a coloured suit to wear which gave them super powers to fight the "Badly Dubbed Beyond Cheesy Evil Doing Bad Lady". Magically when they put on their suits their martial arts skills advanced so they could fight many enemies. Interestingly,when they put on their suits they also changed size and body shape.

You see the costumed fight scenes, and the scenes with The Bad Lady - Rita Repulsa, (played by Soga Machiko) were the original Japanese footage. Yup, the version shown in the US and UK was a top quality, no expense incurred version.

Which brings us to the remake. Now you might think I'm talking about the top quality Disney buy out? Oh no.

I'm talking about this.

In the (grammatically suspect) words of a certain clothing brand. Play colourful, boys and girls.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mam said...

Hi Mike, Do you know this site?
It's really interesting and you can see the all kinds of the super sentai. It will be good Japanese practice (^^)
http://www.super-sentai.net/sentai/
I watched only Gorenjya which was the first season. I previewed them every week as my work long time ago.
The costumed fight scenes were Japanese orijinal. So their size and body shape looked different. American or British actors and actresses played the members except the costumed scene.
By the way I prefer the original 'The Italian job' and 'Charlie and the chocolate factory'(remaked one).
How about you?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mikemuses said...

Thanks Ulavi? i gotta study Spanish more cos I can't read your site, sorry!

Mam! thanks for the site, at least you have a good excuse to watch them!

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home