Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Being Remarkable - Original Post


Or standing out. Or those little touches that make the difference.

What do you do that makes you different to your competitors? You're passionate about what you do? So's everyone else. Watch this video, and you may join me in trying not say 'passionate' again.

Do you "go the extra mile" - everyone does that now, to be in front of the crowd, you need to go the extra marathon.

or, you need to do the unexpected.

Yesterday my car went into CarClinic for its service. I wasn't looking forward to it, given the recent orchestra of unidentifiable noises and the constant glowing reminder of the 'service' light. But it wasn't as expensive as I'd feared. Sure, there are a couple of things it will need looked at soon too, but how do they make sure that they get the repeat business, and not someone else? Yes they have to do a good job, yes, they have to leave the wheel without oil and grease so I don't get my hands and sleeves dirty driving home, but that's expected.

He needs to do something to stand out. He needs to do something so that my last memory of Car Clinic is not handing over cash.

Which is why, as I slip back behind the wheel of my pride and joy, I spy on the passenger seat a little pack, with a sticker. "Take care of your car this winter. Car Clinic". In the pack, De-icer, an ice scraper and screen wash. Total cost to them, a fiver, if that. Total value to them - probably whatever the profit they'll make on the next repair.

And yes, that car is a Volvo, sadly, not the Volvo I drive.

Posted via email from mikemuses's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home