Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Blame Game - Original Post Feb 17th 2010


It’s not your fault.

The Blame Game. A lot of people play it.

It’s not our fault that the train was cancelled, it was the weather.
It’s not my fault that we told you the trains were running, that’s what we’d been told.
It’s not my fault I didn’t make the meeting, the trains were cancelled.
It's not my fault, it's Head Office's mistake.

Chances are that this month you’ve either heard that phrase, or said it. “It’s not my fault”, but here’s the kicker. No-one cares.

I don’t care if it’s not your fault, I don’t care whose fault it is, I care about getting the broken thing fixed. I care about solving the problem that has arisen. So try a change of tack. When something goes wrong, don’t pass the blame, don’t play the blame game.

Try a new game. Do something to fix it.

The train’s cancelled, I can’t get you there as quickly, but there’s a replacement bus, or you can have a refund.
I couldn’t make the meeting, here are my thoughts on the agenda – send me the minutes and I’ll respond too.
Sorry, someone's made a mistake, let me try to fix it for you.

Does your business help people solve problems that aren’t your fault? Are you the person others turn to when things don’t go according to their plan? If not, why not?

People don’t want problems, they don’t want excuses and they don’t want to play the blame game. If you’re recognised as a problem solver, a fixer, then your customers will find you.

What problems do I solve?

Don't have anything to keep your company visible in the media? I can solve that.
Problems keeping your staff motivated in the new year? I can solve that.
Need an extra goal to keep up your fitness regime? I can solve that.
Feel like you aren't making your mark on the world? I can solve that.

Unbelievably, hundreds of children in the North East are living, invisibly, in fear, in poverty. We're working to solve that. Will you?

Posted via email from mikemuses's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home