Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'd rather be in Geneva. - Original Post March 7th 2010

Probably the most significant car at the Geneva Motor Show: The Porsche 918 Spyder.

I’m not the biggest Porsche fan going – in fact, I can’t think of any of their models that would be guaranteed a test drive, if I was looking to buy in that class. But this one is significant. Yes , it’s only a concept, but their concepts almost always make it into production.

I don’t like the front, and I really don’t like those wheels, but this will do over 200mph AND return over 70mpg. Not at the same time, but impressive nonetheless. (It should be at £500,000)

Is it the future of supercars? I’m not sure, it’s a hybrid, but it plugs in to charge, which means the power comes from coal-burning factories – so it’s not really all that green.

But it does show that companies like Porsche are looking ahead at alternatives and trying to make them remotely viable.

Something that IS green, is the Ferrari HY-KERS. They won’t be putting it into production, not yet, but again it shows that even they are looking at alternatives. This one is arguably ‘greener’, (and I don’t just mean the paintjob) than the Porsche, as the hybrid power comes from batteries.

The argument of course, is that the effort involved in producing the batteries outweighs any benefit in using them.

Whichever way you view it, these are important cars....

Also at the show, Lexus revealed their hybrid 1-series rival, the CT200h. I think it’s better looking than the BMW - most things are - but I’m not sure it’ll tempt that many drivers away from their 1’s or A3s. Interesting that the presenter talks about Toyota as being the “hybrid masters”. Just shows you can be first at something (Honda), but someone else can still take the glory.

My favourites?

The Honda EV-N, the cutest. (Honourable mention to the Subaru for the R1 I first saw when at the Tokyo show)

Most desirable? Hispano Suiza. Honourable mention to the Jaguar XKR.

Since they remain well out of my price range for some time, top of my shopping list would be The FT-86 from Toyota. If they can keep it looking like this and get through international regulations. (I’ve been a fan since my own modified Toyota Levin in Japan). Second, on the list possibly Honda’s CR-Z. Which looks much better in red or blue than green or white, ideally the MUGEN version.

Wackiest: Sbarro Autobau concept. Honourable mention to Westfield.

And the worst? It’s a tough call between anything numbered 5 onwards in this rogue’s gallery, the Mansory Rolls Ghost, and these two, which we’ll no doubt be seeing plenty of soon.

Finally, SAAB revealed some excellent news at the show, and I'll be talking about SAAB and marketing in a post soon.

Posted via email from mikemuses's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home