Mike's musings

Whatever thoughts have been on my mind will probably end up here. Updated weekly, but perhaps more initially as I throw in some older things.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen - June 29th 2010

I recently asked what word ABNers associated with VW. The results weren't surprising. Reliable, quality (badge - all probably down to the Golf), were the responses.

The same kind of results I got when I asked around.

Thanks to the iconic "if only" Golf ads of the 80's.

According to the latest JD power survey, the Golf's reliability was no better than average. (Although I recall that's an improvement from the earliest surveys.)

The ads helped to cement that image of reliability in people's minds - it reinforced their preconceptions. But reliability is a tricky line to tread. Just ask Toyota. First they were reliable - but DULL. And now...?

Back to VW, I didn't get the same kind of response when I asked some American friends of mine. They point to the Beetle, and use words like 'alternative, fun'.

Maybe that's why VW came up with the Fun Theory, which I love, but it just doesn't ring true to them for me. What it did though, is get people involved.

Now, though, they might have nailed it. Maybe the fun theory was just setting the grounds for this. The fast lane, (driven by fun)

Cos who doesn't want to live life in the Fast Lane? Check out the beautiful product placement at the end of Fast Lane Shopping. Subliminal advertising?

Posted via email from mikemuses's posterous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home